Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 37: Shakespeare in Bulgarian


We had our Wrap-Up Session today...the final lecture here in Bulgaria. It was a great time to talk about the things we've learned about Bulgarian history, art, and culture. During the Bulgaria part of the Fulbright, we have had seven wonderful women traveling with us and helping us out from the Fulbright Office. They are pictured to the left. They are: Anna, Iolanta, Anastasia, Julia, Rada, Maria, and Snejana.


At the end of the session, Myra, Kristen, Amy, and I had a surprise for our fellow Fulbright-ers: a slideshow of our trip! It definitely surprised people and it went over really well. First we played a game on PowerPoint called: How Well do you know your Fellow Fulbrighters? We all got all the answers right...GO US! I guess living, traveling, and learning with 15 other people for 40 days gets you to know people quickly! We then had a 15 minute slideshow with music that we played for everyone which was funny and sentimental at the same time. It reminded us how many places we have gone: Athens, Corinth, Nafplion, Olympia, Delphi, Kalambaka/Meteroa, Thessaloniki, Ouronoupolis, Lake Kerkini, Sofia, Veliko Turnovo, Arbanassi, Shumen, Aladja, Etura, Varna, Nessebar, Bourgas, Sozopol, Plovdiv, and Brestovista. Wow! The pictures to the left are of Myra and Kristen preparing to show our PowerPoint.

We all then had lunch at the hotel. The hotel food is usually wonderful, but today was the first day I thought I may have to go hungry because the picture to the left is what came on my plate! I actually jumped a bit when the waiter put the fish in front of me, because the head was pointed right at me, the huge eyes staring at me, and the teeth gleaming. Yuck! Fortunately for me, though, Amy was sitting next to me and she cut it open and pulled out the meat for me. It had actually been cooked in lemon and then stuffed back into the fish, so I could push the actual face off my plate and just eat my fish. The only problem was Paul's fish staring at me...but I was still okay! Go me :)

Finally we went to see Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream at the National Theatre just a few blocks away from our hotel. It was opening night and the whole thing was in Bulgarian. But it was wonderful! The actors were so great that I knew what was going on all the time. I took a picture of the theatre (to the left) at the end of the show -- I didn't take it at the beginning in case I would have to run away! :) The usher didn't seem to mind my picture-taking though; she actually came up to me after the show to tell me to take a look up on the second floor because of the beautiful chandeliers! The theatre was beautifully decorated in all gold and it's too bad the picture is so dark...but at least it gives you an idea of what it looks like.

Well, Cheers for now! I only have two full days left until I'm headed back to Chicago!

No comments: