Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day 10: The Olympics (and other Sports)



Pictures: The entrance to the original Olympic Stadium and me running across the finish line (I know, I have a kind of whimpy run at the moment...it was a long way there and back and I stopped a little short of the finish line)!

Today we are in Olympia, which is on the opposite side of the Peloponnese than Nafplion (where we were yesterday). Olympia, as you probably can guess, is the home of the original Olympics (and where the current Olympic torch is lit every two years.

The coolest thing about Olympia was the fact that I got to run the track at the original stadium! How completely awesome :) I did pretty well in the race as well...I should start running when I get back to Chicago so I can keep up with Elizabeth!

Anyway, a bit about Olympia: the Games began to take place every 4 years and it began in 776 BC (that's almost 3000 years ago). Only men were allowed to participate in the games and if women were caught watching (they wouldn't ever get past the security, though, because all the men competed naked) they were thrown to death from a nearby mountain. Ouch!



The Olympics included: footraces, long and short jumps, wrestling, boxing, and chariot races. I competed in a footrace with my fellow Fulbright-ers. The length is about 400 meters going back and forth on the track.

Josh -- The Olympics were in Greece because the Greeks created them. The people wanted to show the pride they had in their city-states (each region of Greece was represented).

Within the Olympic area there is a Temple of Zeus and a Temple of Hera so that the competitors could pray to the gods before competing.

Joseph -- There were no coliseum fights where people were getting eaten by lions. That was the Romans. The Romans did rule Greece for a while, but it's not a Greek tradition.

Elvia, Evelyn, and Andris -- You all asked about fashion; here is what I've found out so far: The most interesting fact is that many men wear capris (which is quite different from the U.S.). Also women wear capris where the crotch of the pants go down to their knees. It looks very funny (I'll try to get a picture at some point). Women also are not afraid to show off skin. You know the tops where the girls' backs are bare and there are string tying the shirt together? The Greeks have shirts like that, except the ties are in the front and not the back. Hmmmm.... :)

Felipe -- Let me give you a little bit of history of some of the cities I've visited in Greece. Nafplion was conquered by the Venetians who influenced all the architecture in the city. Strolling down the streets definitely felt like we were in Italy with the balconies, etc. Nafplion was then taken over by the Turks. In Olympia the Greeks built the buildings and then were conquered by the Romans who rebuilt different buildings.

It is interesting to note that a lot of the ruins here in Olympia, and other places we have visited, that the structures were destroyed by the Christians (most of the time by the Fourth Crusade) because they wanted to knock down any temple that was erected for a pagan god.

Finally, RAFAL, I have not forgotten you. The Euro Cup is huge here! I took a picture of all the men sitting and watching the games. In all the shops we go in, the TV is turned to the games. So far I know the Czech Republic won the first game and I think Russia won the second game. I'm not sure about Poland. Do you get to see the games in the U.S.?

I hope you're all enjoying your summer. Keep reading and posting!

Cheers,
Ms. G


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Ms. Gartland. I can tell you had fun!!! You seem like you're ready to race someone. [lol] ON YOUR MARK, GET SET, GO!!!!! =D
-Stephanie [Fifa]

Merlajean said...

Now, to be as historically accurate as possible, shouldn’t you have run the Olympic track naked?