Thursday, June 19, 2008

Day 21: Cranky and Crabby...and no, I'm not talking about the Buffalo

Today has been a really hard day for me…I’ve been cranky all day. I try to make it a habit of not letting my mood affect other people, and I think I’ve done that fairly well today, BUT there has been some crabby stuff going on inside my head. It began with the fact that we had to wait on the side of the road for a taxi to bring two pieces of luggage that we left in Thessaloniki. Then we were supposed to eat lunch at 1 and didn’t eat until 3:30 (I have found on this trip that when I don’t eat I get very crabby). Then we got to the buffalo farm and there were no toilets and I really, really needed to go to the bathroom. Thankfully that was rectified quickly after I took a nice little “stroll” behind the buffalo pen with Annie as my look-out. I felt MUCH better after that. Finally I think I’m really homesick. Anyway, it’s been a long, hard day for me.

We did some interesting things here in Kerkini, though (even though I wasn’t in a good mood). We went on a boat ride in Lake Kerkimi which is a Bird Wild Life Marsh. We saw pelicans (which reminded me of _Finding Nemo_) and other birds. We also saw water buffalo (which reminded me of the “Everybody Wants a Water Buffalo” song from VeggieTales). After Lake Kerkini and a VERY late lunch, we went to a buffalo farm. I got the cutest buffalo picture when I was playing look-out for Myra and everyone else had gone to the bus. The buffalo were very curious and came to stand right next to me! Tonight I think we’re having buffalo meat for dinner…how sad, but yummy! ☺

I do want to update you about last night though too. Myra, Kristen, and I went on a Sweets Walk. Thessaloniki is known for their chocolates and honey sweets. The Lonely Planet guidebook (which is the best ever) had a Sweets Walk with the best shops. So we all got loaded up on sugar. I had the best tasting cream, pudding, cookie thing ever! It was divine. This is the place to come when you have a sweet tooth!

Alright, well writing this has made me feel much better. I miss you all and am definitely a little homesick now that it’s sunk in that I am only half way done with my trip. I’m learning a lot and enjoying everyone I’m traveling with, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what Bulgaria is like, but I miss you! Hope you’re all doing well!

Ms. G

No comments: