Monday, June 2, 2008

Day 4: Sleep-Walking Through Athens

Me on the airplane and down a street in Athens:

Yay! I'm in Athens. I'm sitting in the hotel's restaurant eating breakfast at the moment...you all are sleeping though (it's the middle of the night for you). I'm about to go to the Archeological Museum today :) First, though, let me say that I miss you all. I hope you're all set for your Romeo and Juliet essays!

So I have a question to ask you all first: What are some of your pre-conceived notions of Greece? (Think: what are some stereotypes you have of Greece?). Tranny, Jerrod, and Alan (my regular readers and commenters), tell the other students to log on and comment on this question. Then in a couple of days I will post on the topic.

Well it has been a VERY long time since I got to sleep. The last time I blogged I was in the airport and since then I didn't get to sleep for 34 hours. I was soooo tired :) Have you ever been up for 34 hours? I was crazy tired. I felt like a walking zombie through Athens.

The airplane food was pretty good though AND the airplane was so huge that when you needed to go to the bathroom, you had to go downstairs. (It felt very Jodi Foster movie-ish with the stairs). We ended up stopping in Germany and it was beautiful -- so green. It was fun to have everything said in German and then English.

We got to Athens at 11:30 AM (the middle of the night Chicago time). It is beautiful here. The city is quite ancient and the streets are tiny and curvy. All the buildings are very close to the street. We're staying in the heart of the city, called Plaka. We went on a walking tour of the ancient part of the city last night. We saw an old cathedral from 1000s and the old Parliament building. Oh, and there are stray dogs here everywhere. I took pictures of one of them that was following us around for a while. (I'll post it when I'm able to get a better internet connection).

I also have some answers for some of your questions:

DeMichael -- The best time to come to Greece is May because it's not quite so hot. Now that it's June it's in the upper 90s. I'm warm and have to wear lots of sunscreen so I don't burn :)

Sylwia and Christian -- I have some pictures of my dinners uploaded in the Photo Essay.

David -- YES! Greeks do eat McDonalds. I ended up passing one and everyone was eating McDonalds outside on the picnic tables. I went into the restaurant to take a picture of part of the menu (which is in Greek) for you!

Kimionne -- My FAVORITE new Greek food is fried zucchini! YUM :) It's soooo good. You'll have to try it some time. (I took a picture of it).

Jacob -- Yes, people drink a lot of coffee, but there is always wine available at lunch and dinner (not that YOU could drink it yet). Also Ouzo is a great drink that I have yet to try, but have heard a lot about. I'll try it soon and let you know what I think.

Jorge -- The Euro is about one and a half dollars for the U.S. Dollars. So something that is $10 in the U.S. is a little over $15 in Greece. Everything is expensive.

Take a look at my Photo Essay (an essay of photographs...kind of like your _Romeo and Juliet_ essay, but with pictures).

Cheers,
Ms. G

P.S. All the other Fulbright teachers here with me say hi to you all!

P.P.S. I can't upload pictures...my internet isn't working well. I will upload later.


No comments: